Sunday, January 31, 2010

Glow in the Dark

On numerous occasions at night at the ranch I have seen glow-in-the-dark "dirt" or liquid on the ground and even on my dog "Lucky" - usually it has been in the early morning after a dark night and has been damp on the ground. Not sure if it is Glow worms, Foxfire, Jack O'Lantern mushroom, Honey Fungus, or some other bio-luminescent fungus or mold. It almost seems to be in a footprint pattern at times. I usually dispose of my cigars on the ground or in a planting pot and save them for plant mulch to hold humidity in the soil. It has been unseasonably wet in the country after a significant long dry spell (almost 2 year drought).
That brings up another topic: Is it better to smoke at 70% humidity or 10-40% ? It seems that cigars last longer and do not burn as well when they fail to dry out during the smoking process. The ambient temperature seems to also have an effect on taste and enjoyment as well. There is much disappointment in smoking and expensive stogie and having it canoe or flower. The humidity does seem to weaken the binder.

The cigar I would like to review is the El Rey Del Mundo Olvidados Chateaux R Sumatra. It is a 5x54 vitola and a dense well packed and flavorful smoke as well as a "strong" one.

From "Keepers of the flame"
The phenomenon of brand extension is in evidence once again with El Rey del Mundo Olvidados. The original “King of the World” is a Cuban marca, but in the U.S. we are more familiar with the Villazon version blended by Estelo Padrón in Honduras. I don’t know how many boxes of oscuros I’ve consumed over the years, but for a long time it was my “go to” smoke.

In 2006 Padrón developed El Rey del Mundo Real with a Honduran wrapper from San Agustin, but in my opinion it fails to live up the “original” broadleaf maduro ERDM.

The newest blend was created by protegés of Estelo Padrón for Cuban Imports, who are themselves no strangers to brand extensions: in 2006 they unveiled their Por Larrañaga “Cuban Grade” and last year the H. Upmann “Signature,” both Altadis owned brands. With ERDM Olvidados they add a player from General Cigar to their team.

They came up with a diverse blend for this cigar. The filler includes ligero from Nicaragua, viso from Honduras, and seco leaf from the Dominican Republic. The binder is a Connecticut broadleaf, and the star of the show is a dark Ecuadorian grown Sumatra wrapper.

I found my cigar to have a real sweet spiciness. There was a woody taste with the hint of amaretto (much like the Gran Habano 3 Siglos) - which seemed a bit salty (I recognized this after I read the KoTF review). There was also a hint of black pepper. It turned out to be a good smoke for a cool and humid overcast winter day, but I would say that it did not glow in the dark...Maybe I was "Lucky"...

No comments:

Post a Comment