Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day Cigar

God Bless America, Honduras, and the protesters in Iran.
Just as promised, today is the day to smoke and review the Camacho Liberty 2007 - after 2 years of aging. Mine came white tissue-wrapped in a coffin #36,595/40,000...I still will have 2 left. I love the coffin boxes, then really add to the mystique. It is a maduro/corojo 6x48 camacho 11/18 (smooth tapered on both ends) barberpole cigar. Reviews (the few that I have read) have been mostly negative, it received only an 87 rating from CA, but several comments suggested that it would improve with age. It seemed as if they were reviewing a different cigar than I experienced. I find the Camacho Honduran maduro wrappers to be thick and veiny, others decry that...but it fits my taste perfectly. I hate a wrapper that cracks and peels off as I smoke it. This one has attractive bands, including one on the foot.

As to my stogie...I removed the bands, and appreciated a very mild barnyard aroma. My wrappers were perfect, no heavy veins. I cut it with a punch cutter, and lit with a torch lighter. The draw was perfect as was the density. Smoke was nice, and the initial taste that predominated was that of the maduro leaf. Mildy sweet and woody, not too strong, with a short finish initially, it was flavorful. After the first half, the corojo and ligero spice predominated, but the short finish persisted. Even that spiciness was mild. The initial taste reminded me somewhat of the Camacho 1962 pre-embargo, and the later taste reminded me of the Camacho Corojo. The burn was even, but seemed to follow the angle of the wrapper without canoeing. It evened out without any doctoring of the burn. Overall I would call it a winner, and a testimony to the Honduran cigar industry. God bless Honduras!

As this is a Liberty Honduran smoke, I applaud the gusto of the Honduran Supreme Court and General Romeo Vasquez. May they have continued Liberty, free of the typical Latin American dictators...especially those of the like of Castro and Chavez. May they be spared a war with Venezuela, and live in freedom. May our President wake up!

Great article related to the Honduran "coup" at Townhall.com
Wrong Again by Oliver North


No comments:

Post a Comment