Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Are we there yet?

There is nothing like a long wait for an expected event. Weddings, births, and graduations all seem to be fueled expectations. The time brings great hope. Those times are well marked with a fine stogie. Usually we are not waiting for the stogie. The CAO Vision was one of those cigars that was trumped up and we waited for, and it turned to disappointment. Now we have the Casa Magna Colorado Robusto 5 1/2 x 52. It was the best cigar of 2008 (that no one had ever smoked, except the Cigar Aficionado experts). My box came via Spec's and was the first I have seen, it was nice . It is a cigar made by two of my favorite Cigar makers, Nestor Plascencia and Manuel Quesada. It has a nice oily Colorado wrapper. It is a Nicaraguan puro. I have read several reviews and found different descriptions of the taste. The construction reviews have been good, mine was good..with the perfect draw. The density was firm, but with the nice draw I found that it made for a good smoke. There is something attractive about a quality cigar band. It really adds to our sense of expectation in a cigar. The cigar was good, and only a bit peppery - with an earthy taste. Some hints of mild coffee and dark chocolate- all of these flavors were mild with the earthy giving way to the mildly sharper flavors. I would say that it is and was a good cigar. Was it the best of 2008? I think not- but despite all the ratings, 2008 does not strike me as a banner year.

Waiting reminds me of my mother's favorite Bible verse:
Isaiah 40:31

"They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint..."

This verse for some reason reminds me of the smoke wafting up from a fine long leaf hand-rolled cigar, maybe its the "eagles" part. Waiting must be a virtue, haven't learned it yet- but it's nice to enjoy a cigar while I wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment